Reverse Traverse Tour - Overview
The Reverse Traverse trip soaks up the best of Kiwiana on this great journey from the bottom of the South to, almost, the top of the North. This trip takes in some of the most diverse scenery in the world in 15 days where you can visit some of the best National Parks, explore glaciers, fiords, golden sand beaches, rugged coastlines, lush subtropical forests and dramatic mountain formations.
You get to enjoy two nights at the following places; Punakaiki to explore the Paparoa National Park, Marahau to explore the Abel Tasman National Park and in the Bay of Islands.
Perfect if you’re wanting to explore the South Island first before meeting up with the Flying Kiwi crew in Queenstown to head to the wild west coast, iconic Abel Tasman and then crossing to the North.
Before finishing in Auckland, you’ll have plenty of time to immerse yourself in sun and sand, try some sailing and sand-duning in the twin coast - you’ll also get to meet some pretty special trees, our ancient New Zealand native Kauri, the size will blow you away!
You can start this trip in Queenstown or Christchurch. The bus service from Christchurch to Queenstown runs daily (apart from Christmas day) so if you would like to have a few days to explore Queenstown before the tour departs contact us. The standard trip price and dates are for departures from Queenstown.
Customise Your Trip: It is possible to only do part of the route - maybe you want to start in Queenstown and finish in Wellington. Talk to our crew in the office about how we can create you the perfect trip
If you have a few days after your trip why not extend it with this great option:
Northern Light Tour - You can discover New Zealand's hot spots and the remarkable contrasting northern landscapes on this quick thermal blast! It's a short trip from Auckland to Wellington and is packed with some of the best parts of New Zealand.
REVERSE TRAVERSE TRAVEL DAYS
Starting at the adventure capital of New Zealand, Queenstown and finishing in Auckland this trip takes you from the bottom to the top. You can have a look at the detailed day-to-day itinerary on our Flying Kiwi Detailed Itinerary page page.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE REVERSE TRAVERSE TOUR
We know the best of New Zealand which is why we have included the following in the Reverse Traverse tour:
- Accommodation: Pitch your tent beside beaches, lakes, mountains and forests. A spacious, shared tent is included in the tour price (sharing with one other person of a similar age/same sex). There is the option to upgrade to a single tent if you prefer for a small cost.
- Food: Our portable kitchen turns into a restaurant under the stars! Most meals are included (our detailed itinerary outlines exactly what is included on a day-to-day basis). We can also cater for a broad range of dietary requirements.
- Wine Tasting Marlborough: The Sauvignon Blanc wines of Marlborough are internationally recognised for their beautiful crisp flavour and distinctive summer citrus aromas. The tastings are on us in our specially arranged wine tasting experience.
- Cook Strait Ferry Crossing: The most scenic way to get from one island to the other is the Cook Strait ferry. You can sit back and relax on the 3 hour scenic crossing between the South and North islands through the stunning Marlborough Sounds - keep your eyes peeled for whales and dolphins on the way.
- Sports Equipment: What a great way to spend time around camp, make use of sports equipment we’ve put on board for you, such as bodyboards, frisbee and more depending upon the bus.
- Hikes: Marvel at the reflection on Mt Cook as you walk around Lake Matheson mirror lake, free walks are enjoyed every day and vary from 10mins to a few hours in length.
- Bike Rides: If you have hired one of our bikes then let us point you in the direction of incredible daily rides.
Kiwis are a generous bunch and lots of museums and attractions are free of charge, as well as all access to National Parks. We take in many of these on the Reverse Traverse Tour including; Abel Tasman, Paparoa, Westland Tai Poutini and Mt Aspiring national parks.
Our bike rides page and the hiking pages give you lots more detail into the rides and hikes our guides will show you along the way. We include printed maps and route notes for any of the hikes and rides you might want to do.
Our activities page above gives more detail on many of the free and optional activities that you might choose to do on your Reverse Traverse tour and how it all works.
IMPORTANT THINGS WE WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT THE REVERSE TRAVERSE TOUR
Bush camps are part of our charm and are designed to get you away from the crowds and experiencing nature at its best. The two bush camps you will stay at during the Reverse Traverse tour have been especially selected for their amazing scenery. Due to their remote locations there are no cabin upgrade options and they also come with only basic toilet facilities but don’t worry a hot shower is just around the corner.
There are two nights where camping isn’t feasible and we stay in hostels (at your own cost). These are centrally located and ideal for exploring the regions. Hostel nights are in Wellington and Auckland. Your guide will make a booking for you and we have dorm beds reserved for everyone. If you would like a private room (subject to availability) please contact us to book this in advance. Payment is made direct to the hostels on check-in.
For more useful information visit our How it works page here.